Dec 28, 2012

Orange Mini Cupcakes and A New Year wish!.

Hello you guys,

Wish you all a very Happy new year 2013! Hope all of us have a fantastic year! :) I made these cute orange mini cupcakes for my husband's work colleagues this holiday season. 



This is one cake recipe that will never let you down! I got this recipe from this wonderful blog here. The first time I tried this recipe, it came out so wonderful that I went back to the blog to leave a comment and found this interesting bit..


This Sicilian Orange Cake is the famous orange cake from the once popular CaféAgostini (this cafe has closed on 22 July, 2005) owned by Margie Agostini, in the heart of Sydney ’s suburb for the rich and famous, Woollahra. Customers have often been heard to say that “Margie’s orange cake is to die for”.

I found this recipe on Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escape Cookbook a while ago but was surprised to find out how this recipe was linked to Australia:

Rick Stein: "To be accurate, I suppose this cake should be known as Margie Agostini'sorange cake. It was her signature dish at her greatly missed Caffe Agostini in Woollahra in Sydney. It seemed to me to be just made for Sicilian oranges. The recipe came from an article in the Times by Jill Dupleix, although I had eaten the cake at the cafe a few years earlier and I thought it was amazing. As Jill says, it has to be the richest, moistest, butteriest and yet lightest orange cake in the world." 

Well, no wonder it tastes sooooo good. And yes, from then on, I have made it quite a few times, and every time it has turned out perfect and its veru quick and easy to make as well, (and my basic sponge recipe too, minus the orange juice!) So thought of sharing this with you all today.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

For the cake:

125 grams lightly salted butter.
125 grams brown sugar
2 medium eggs
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
125 grams standard white flour
50 ml fresh orange juice
1/2 tsp baking powder

For the icing:

1/4  cup softened butter
2 cups icing sugar
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
A pinch of salt
2 tsp ofresh orange juice 
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk together butter and sugar. 
Add one egg at a time, Beat well after each egg and add a tsp of flour after each, if necessary to prevent curdling. 
Beat in Orange zest.
Add all flour at once, mix well.
Add baking powder.
Slowly mix in orange juice.

Grease cake pan, pour the batter and bake @ 170 degree cs for 25-30 mins. I used a mini cup cake pan, and made 12 mini cup cakes and also had some better remaining which I used to make 2 small four inch cakes, for some friends (That is if I do not gulp it! :()

Once the cake is done, cool it completely before icing.



For the icing, mix all the ingredients for icing well until you get a spreadable consistency and ice the cupcakes, I also added some sprinkles on top of the icing... And then enjoy...




Adios!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Priya, You must try these, divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. had these cupcakes and they were absolutely Yummy !!!

    ReplyDelete